Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Thing #18 - open source and google docs


Well, I became familiar with open source two years ago this Christmas at a Rice University continuing education Math & Science seminar for middle school. They introduced us to several free sources for photo shop type (gimp) and open source, etc. I shared it with my principal and other technology interested teacher/friends at school.


At the beginning of this Library2Play, I used Google Docs because I didn't seem to be able to make the post in this blog as long as I needed. So, I would prepare it in Google Doc and paste it into here!


So, believe it or not, even though I have had an attitude concerning aspects of L2P I like technology and want to learn more and don't want to be on the "outside" of the progress in technology. I do not want to be completely taken over and remain at the computer like I used to stay at the sewing machine when I was a clothes designer. There are things to be done other than sit and process at the computer all day long.


Today when I was dealing with a problem with my computer protection through Att & Yahoo, I found myself telling the tech in The Phillipines about L2P because it is an awesome way to get up on the latest computer stuff. I think that "What you are not up on, you are down on!" But, there is a line to draw at (like today and yesterday.)


I have spent most of the time at the computer trying to get things done for L2P! I toy between wanting to complete it and trying to give myself permission to do what I can and forget about the 18 credit that can be earned. My mom taught me that I must and always will finish what I start. At some point this can be detrimental!


I borderline obsess about many things, and I am always working on trying to be less of that when it isn't necessarily positive for long run, long term productive!

No comments: