Monday, June 23, 2008

Thing #5-Flirkr reflections...

I found that reading about Flickr was a lot of information to take in and have gone back to reread about 4 times. Even with making notes, it was still so much technical info that only through trying to set up an account and getting to work on it, will help me. So, I did. I set up a MsLyonsESL account. But I am not so sure about what to do from there. I want to start it for my classes this next school year. I will want it to be private, for my students to post pictures and make comments. I know they are obsessed with pictures of friends and families and that could be a good way to work with communicating in English.
We worked with Flickr at the 21st Century workshop as a resource for pictures that are "open" for use because Google's pictures are not necessarily the best way to go. We don't want to violate copywrites. So, I know that using it for picture prompts would be a good source.
Tags should help them with creating "associations and connections between photos and users of the site."
I will want to make the situation a "private" one for the safety of the students and I would have to see how they would feel about it being a "public" situation. They will definitely learn to use the libraries.
I am not sure I quite understand what "taxonomy or folksonomy" means without looking it up in the dictionary! Oh, a science or classification, why not just say that! Catagory!
This information said it all for my feelings, (from the reading)

No comments: